Panthers head to state finals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Panthers head to state finals

Braelyn Beasley goes up for two in the semifinal game against West Side-Jonesboro.

Koesha Davis, Journalist

The Panther basketball team won their semifinal game of the state tournament against West Side-Jonesboro March 2 with a score of 66-39.

The crowd was exuberant, and the celebration on the court after the game was unprecedented.

The Panthers now advance to the state championship in Hot Springs where they will face Mills-Little Rock at 5:15 p.m. in the Bank OZK Arena.

The match-up promises to be the event of the year for Panther fans. Story’s made a tournament shirt and sold several hundred in one day. The high school administrators had 500 tickets to sell and sold out in a few hours. Tickets can still be purchased in Hot Springs.

The Mills Comets have an overall record of 28-4, compared to the 23-5 record of the Panthers. When asked about the competition, Braelyn Beasley said, “They’re big.” For example, Mills has one player listed on the roster as 6’8″ and 240 pounds.

Beasley added, “We’ve got to have the right mindset coming into the game, and we can’t get intimidated playing on the big stage.”

A student bus will also be available for students that want to attend the state tournament game and no fee is required to ride the bus, although students must have their own money to pay for entry into the game.