Museum trip a success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Museum trip a success

The Art Club admires the architecture of Cooper Chapel in Bella Vista. Down front are Payton Campbell, Mrs. Hicks, LaZanee' Miller, Luke Adcox, and Bethany Morgan.

Juana Guzman, Journalist

The Art Club ended the first semester with a trip to Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville. It was full of amazing art and so much more. In order for the art club to pay for this trip, we held an auction and sold Christmas ornaments hand painted on cardboard. We also hosted Painting with PawPaw, which was new this year. During Thanksgiving break, elementary students paid to come take a painting class. Art students helped out Mrs. Hicks in the event, seeing as she was new to it as well.

The departure time was 6 A.M. on a Thursday morning with students all snuggled up on the bus trying to get warm. The trip alone took about five to six hours. The first stop was Terra Studios, the home of the glass figurines known as the “Bluebird of Happiness” and “Pink Bird of Hope.” Terra Studios is a nonprofit organization which has a dream of a brighter future through using art to create a better world. The group got to explore every inch of Terra Studios that contained art scattered all over its park — from sculptures to murals to a wizard’s cave and even a labyrinth. Along with exploring, the Art Club got to see how the bluebirds were made, and those who loved the birds enough were sure to buy one for themselves. Amya Reeves said, “I really liked Terra Studios because I got to see how the bluebirds were made.”

After Terra Studios, the group was invited to visit the University of Arkansas Art Department. This was a new addition to the trip. Anything and everything that students were curious about, those questions were answered that day. The tour included areas used for sculpting, painting, printmaking, and photography. The group was also glad to see the student-run gallery. Senior Christopher Daniels said, “I like how U of A can help students to increase their creativity skills.”      In addition, the group went to see a Trail of Lights display, along with a tour of the Walton museum. The day ended back at the hotel around 9 p.m.

The next day was an early departure at 8:15 a.m. heading up to Crystal Bridges. Everyone was welcomed with the sight of Maman, a huge bronze, stainless steel and marble spider made by the famous artist Louise Bourgeois. The group stayed about three hours in the museum to see all the art available inside and outside. From Felix Gonzalez-Torres’ “Untitled” to Titus Kaphar’s “The Cost of Removal”, the museum was filled with amazing painting and sculpture. The trip concluded with a quick stop at Cooper Chapel, where everyone admired the beauty of the building before heading home, an unforgettable experience for all who participated.

Cameron Denler plays checkers in the sculpture garden at Terra Studios.