Seniors learn life skills

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors learn life skills

Seniors listen to Mrs. Baskin's advice about budgeting money for house payments.

Annabelle Babbitt, Journalist

While juniors took the ACT and sophomores practiced taking it, seniors went to the arena for a special workshop on life.

It was entitled “Get Real, Here’s the Deal,” and was sponsored by Columbia Country Cooperative Extension Service.

It was designed to teach students about the cost of living and how to budget money.

Students received a bag with a mock checkbook and random scenarios for income and family situations. This affected the money each participate had to allocate for food, childcare, and entertainment, with larger families having higher prices.

De’Asia Walker said, “I learned to balance things and make the right decisions with my money.”

Several community members volunteered their mornings to work various stations that students visited. These volunteers assisted students in showing them how to manage a checkbook and make calculations.

“Seeing all the people from the community volunteer was amazing, and I appreciate their time and efforts to help us,” said Keith Watson.

Students rotated around the arena after about ten minutes at each station. After the program, Albemarle served burgers and Bancorp South donated chips for the seniors to picnic in the arena with an extra-long lunch, waiting for the standardized testing to finish.