AP science classes visit Albemarle

Back to Article
Back to Article

AP science classes visit Albemarle

Science students Jordan Sigala, Katie Collier, Jeremiah Smith, and Keith Watson help Albemarle employees erect bird houses.

Grace Gore, Journalist

AP Environmental and AP Chemistry classes have taken several trips total to Albemarle this year to complete various activities and experiments. Most recently students installed bird houses.

Mrs. Jackson said they have tested the water close to the plant, built bird and duck houses, and met with staff to further their knowledge.

She said the students gather all their data and pictures together for a presentation  to the Albemarle staff on their last trip.

Steven Liberty, senior, said, “Thanks to Albemarle we were highly immersed  in their treating  of the water that runs through the marshland and the components that make the process run efficiently.”

Claudia Franks added, “It’s fun to do a real-life experiments and be hands-on at the marsh.”

Students get to experience the jobs of staff at Albemarle safely and sometimes get to see the what lives in the marsh.

Blake Bohannan, senior, said, “Its cool to see all the wildlife that live in the marsh even with all the chemicals.”

He said there are fish and plants that live in the water, and lots of geese and ducks that survive because of the plant.

In September, students tested the water in the marshes around the plant.