Prom now just days away

Kalijah Smith, Journalist

You’ve made it to the end of high school. It’s prom season! Make no mistakes.

Prom is one of the major events in a teen’s high school career, the last goodbye before graduation, so make it worthwhile. It’s your night to own.

Mrs. Hurley is in charge of this year’s prom. It’s being held in the band hall, April 21, 9 p.m.-12 a.m. The 2018 theme is A Tale as Old as Time (Beauty and the Beast).

The prom tickets include a complete prom experience – good food, good music, a free and unlimited photo booth, and hopefully memories to last a lifetime. Mrs. Hurley says, students who attended last year have requested the bacon wrapped brown sugar smokies and themed sugar cookies be served again this year.

If you’re looking to buy prom tickets, they’re $30 each. There’s no specific awareness of the school presenting allowances for kids who cannot afford tickets, but Mrs. Hurley says she does try to work with anyone who can’t afford everything at once.

The ticket buyer must be a MHS senior, and his or her date must be at least a sophomore or 20 years of age or younger.

There are no specific dress requirements as far as fancy, length, or type of suits, but Mrs. Hurley says, “Let’s be real. Keep it classy.”

If money is an issue, she says the Magnolia Junior Charity League has a prom dress drive going on now where those who cannot afford a dress are able to stop by.

Mrs. Hurley said, “I know most people think prom has to be a huge expenditure, but it doesn’t matter if you get the suit or a tux or an expensive dress or simply wear your Sunday best.”

She added, “We provided a full spread of food from yummy appetizers to desserts that you can fill a plate with, and it is all included in your prom ticket, so don’t think you have to go out for a fancy meal. A free and unlimited photo booth is also available to everyone there at the prom. We want all seniors to be able to enjoy prom, and we try our best as a faculty to make it happen.”

Asked if students have to go with a date, she answered, “Absolutely not! Last year we had a young man roll up in a limo with six girls on his arms. Go with a group, go solo, or go with a date or six. Just come and have fun!”

So far, there are at least one hundred people going, not including those who have turned in date forms without purchasing tickets yet.

Mrs. Hurley said, “If things go as they did last year, most will rush in to buy tickets during the last week of sales.” The deadline to buy has been extended to April 13.

Drugs will be monitored and any other suspicious activity. “This the part of why we have an age limit on dates,”she replies. “Faculty and staff are spaced around prom to monitor students’ general behavior and for alcohol/drug use. We are not out to get students by watching so closely, but we are looking out for their safety and if something of that nature was to be “in prom” we need to address it so no one would be in harm’s way. My own senior prom had two car accidents that night. I don’t want to see any of my own students hurt because of those kinds of mistakes.”

When asked if there was a charity element, such as a collection for a non-profit or school project, she said, “I haven’t thought about that being a part of prom, but that’s a great idea! We might do a song request jar to raise money toward the senior project.”