Magnolia choirs take national contest by storm

Sarah Nguyen, Journalist

Director Larry Dunn works with Bel Canto.

They won it all! On April 6-9, the choir traveled to the WorldStrides On-Stage Dallas Heritage Festival, a national competition at the Jack E. Singley Academy in Irving, Texas. The Concert Choir and Concert Men both earned gold ratings and were awarded 1st place overall in their respective categories. Bel Canto, the advanced women’s choir, also earned a gold rating and was awarded 2nd place overall. In addition, the MHS choral program earned the 2017 Choral Sweepstakes Award awarded to a school with two or more groups that had the highest scores. To add to their accolades, the Concert Choir earned the 2017 Adjudicator’s Award, given to ensembles that average a score of 95 or higher out of 100 possible points. The Concert Choir also won the 2017 Outstanding Choral Group Award. This is awarded to the highest scoring choral ensemble at the Irving event. Dalicia Torrence, a senior at MHS, was also awarded the Maestro Award. This award goes to a student who displays extraordinary musical ability and sensitivity. While touring Dallas, students visited the museum dedicated The choir members also learned about the rewards of cooperating with one another harmoniously. When asked about her experience, junior Hannah Sullivan said,”Through this trip I made memories that’ll last forever in my heart.” The wins qualified the choir to audition for a chance to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

Choir members flash their smiles before loading the bus for Dallas.

Students dress for their dinner at Medieval Times. From left are Ashley Frizelle, Lazanee Miller, Hannah Sullivan, Sarah Nguyen, and Demetra Harris

Anticipation grows as students head to Medieval Times.

Students wait to be seated for their Renaissance dinner at Medieval Times.

Choir members smile with excitement before changing for their performances.

The Concert Men choir prepare to sing under the direction of Larry Dunn.

Dr. William McMillian works with the Concert Men choir during the mini clinic.

The Bel Canto works with Dr. Jolene Webster for a mini clinic.

Choir members at Six Flags over Texas include Taylor Bayles, Hannah Sullivan, Lazanee Miller, Dalicia Torrence, and Sarah Nguyen.

On behalf of the Concert Choir, Dalicia Torrence and Susan Fuller accept the trophy for 1st place overall.

On behalf of the Concert Men, Anthony Thompson and Geovanni Williams-Smith accept the 1st place overall plaque.

Director Larry Dunn congratulates Dalicia Torrence, a soloist for the Concert Choir and a prominent member of Bel Canto, for winning the Maestro Award, an honor given to those who exhibit an extraordinary musical talent.

Seniors pose on their last trip together before graduation.

Choir students spontaneously form a prayer circle to give thanks for their blessing and achievements.

Director Larry Dunn displays the national trophies and plaques his choirs earned on the Dallas trip.

The award winning choir program that took the Dallas National Heritage Competition by storm poses with their hard-earned trophies and plaques.