Yearbook, newspaper staffs honored at press meeting

Magnolia High School journalism students won a number of awards recently at the Arkansas Scholastic Press Association (ASPA) convention and competition April 20-21 in Hot Springs, and five seniors were named ASPA scholars.

The ASPA Scholars were honored for maintaining a high GPA and serving two years on the yearbook staff or one year on both the yearbook and newspaper staffs. They are Gracen Seabaugh, Katie Graham, Dalicia Torrence, Richa Patel, and Cameron Nichols.

In the category of theme development, yearbook editors Seabaugh and Graham and staffer Sophie Yambot won a superior rating. This year’s theme is “On the Red Carpet,” and the book has a Hollywood flare to it. Yambot also won superiors for design of a two-page spread of sports trading cards featuring Panther athletes and for writing the softball story. Torrence won two superiors: one for a sports photo of a basketball layup and another for a club photo of a drummer with his sticks in the air. Amber Dycus also won a superior for a student life photograph of a clarinetist in unusual lighting.

Several yearbook staffers also earned excellent ratings: Crissana Jones won for design of the band pages, Torrence for design of the football pages, and Yambot, for a theme photo of students jumping that mimicked the movie poster for High School Musical. In addition, the design of this year’s cover won an excellent. The book’s title, The Magnolian, appears in all caps against a tree line looking like the iconic Hollywood sign. Patel also won an excellent for writing about the new teacher cadet program, and three students won for advertising layout – Seabaugh, Nichols, and Katherine Pletcher.

Several students won honorable mentions: Samantha Gregory, student life layout; Emily Ford, Yambot, and Patel, academic layout; Patel, academic photo; Nichols, environmental portrait; Torrence, clubs copy; and Pletcher, student life copy.

The school’s online newspaper, at pantherperspective.net, won an overall excellent rating. In addition, Patel won a superior for her sports photo of Matt Goodheart sliding into base, and Chloe Garland won a superior for a movie review. Panther Perspective also won three excellent ratings. Evan Lindsey won for his sports story on the Panthers’ final basketball loss in the playoffs, Nichols won for her news story on the plans for an aquatic center, and Patel won for a feature story on teacher cadets. The paper also earned two honorable mentions. Sarah Nguyen won for her photo essay on the homecoming bonfire and Garland in the blog category for her series of movie reviews.

Three yearbook students also placed in the on-site contests, where students made ads and wrote stories on demand. Graham drew two advertisements with colored pencils and won a second place. Patel made the same ads on a computer and placed second in the computer-generated category. In addition, Pletcher won third place for writing a sports story after being given a page of quotes from various sources. Also in Hot Springs, yearbook staffer Torrence won the karaoke contest.

The adviser for the yearbook and newspaper staffs is Connie Hinton.

The 2016-17 Magnolia High Newspaper Staff included, front row, Taylor Bayles, Evan Lindsey, Sam Jones, Jeremy Lynn, and Dylan Carlton. On the second row are Julia Ferguson, Nohelia Garcia, Sarah Nguyen, Richa Patel, and Cameron Nichols. On the third row are Dalton Keith, Chloe Garland, Sara Ferrand, and Jamie Williams. Not pictured is D’Quiesha Davis.

ASPA Scholars are Richa Patel, Dalicia Torrence, Katie Graham, Gracen Seabaugh, and Cameron Nichols.